The New Dictionary of Old Ideas
Project organized by
in cooperation with
The State Silk Museum in Tbilisi
Trafostacja Sztuki in Szczecinie
hablarenarte in Madrid
OPEN CALL FOR POLISH ARTISTS
The leading theme of our project is Central Europe – a formation between East and West which in the course of centuries has changed its geographic as well as political dimensions many times. We want to respond to the current cultural and political situation – with the rise of nationalistic politics, populism, Euro-skepticism and anti-immigration attitudes in the Central Europe. This tendency can be observed not just locally but in the whole Europe. To go against it we proposed a tool to provide a better understanding of regional specifics – The New Dictionary of Old Ideas.
Artists based in Poland are invited to apply for participation.
We are looking for artists who are willing to work in the international context and with a capacity to carry out the idea of the exhibition that deals with Central European specifics.
It is necessary that she/he would be interested in working with politics and contemporary topics with a new and challenging approach.
Since the project is narrowed to regional identity issues we are seeking for someone who would be able to develop it into a more universal/general level that could be understandable also outside of Central Europe.
The ideal profile should be aware of certain conditions:
– obtain residency schedule – be able to spend at least 80% of the time in the residency location
– participate in a traveling exhibition basing of The New Dictionary of Old Ideas topic
by either developing a new artwork based on the residency or presenting already existing artwork
– be able to travel for exhibition installation and openings (travel expenses, as well as accommodation, will be covered by the organizer)
– adapt her/his piece to every new location (Prague-Tbilisi-Szczecin-Madrid)
– work on the spatial arrangements of every edition (travelling and adapting works to exhibitions will depends on the specifics of works)
– communicate with the curator as well as the production team
What do we provide?
3 months residency with a studio, shared apartment with other artists (private room in 2 rooms apartment)
September/October (45 days) in The State Silk Museum, Tbilisi, Georgia
fee – 600 € brutto
production budget – 153 €
October/November (45 days) in Hablar en Arte, Madrid, Spain
fee – 1800 € brutto
production budget – 400 €
mid February – March 2020 – MeetFactory
mid April – May 2020 – Trafostacja Sztuki
mid June – mid September 2020 – hablarenarte + CentroCentro
October – mid November 2020 – Silk Museum
Fee for the exhibition – 2000 euro (it comes only once)
Travel expenses, as well as accomodation in all of the locations, will be covered from the project budget
s must send following information in English:
1) CV (max 2 pages) and motivation letter (max 1800 characters with spaces) in one PDF file,
2) Portfolio in one PDF file.
Please send both files to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline February 15, 2019 / 18:00 .
Selection results will be announced in the beginning of March 2019.
Committee: Nino Kuprava, Data Chigholashvili, Mariam Shergelashvili, Piotr Sikora, Lucia Kvočáková, representative of CentroCentro, Flavia Introzzi Lopez, Stanisław Ruksza
Co-funden by the Creative Europe Programme of the European Eunion.