History

TRAFO Center for Contemporary Art is located in a renovated historic electrical transformer facility on the bank of the Oder river in central Szczecin. The modernist brick building was constructed in 1912 by the German architect Valentin and architecturally references the adjacent 13th century church of St. John the Evangelist in the same street. It housed the city’s electricity substation until the end of WWII, after which it took on the role of infirmary and toy factory. After falling into disuse it remained abandoned for 20 years before being renovated for the purpose of a contemporary art hall in 2013.

Vulnerability Scanner